Explain the following analogy: Influence is to leadership as eggs are to an omelet.
Discussion Questions and Activities
1. Explain the following analogy: Influence is to leadership as eggs are to an omelet.
2. Which influence tactic described in this chapter do you think would work the best for you?
Book Title: eTextbook: Leadership: Research Findings, Practice and Skills
Chapter 8. Influence Tactics of Leaders
Guidelines for Actions and Skill Development
3. Which of the influence tactics described in this chapter do you think are the most important for
a person in his or her first leadership assignment? Explain your reasoning.
4. With so many workers habituated to using mobile devices for so much of their work, should
company management develop apps for influencing subordinates? Explain your reasoning.
5. Assume that as their leader, you wanted to influence minimum wage earners in an orderfulfillment center to work faster. Which one or two influence tactics are likely to be effective?
6. How should an ambitious person draw the line between being an effective at ingratiation and
7. Why is developing a reputation as an SME important for a leader if leadership deals so heavily
with interpersonal skills?
8. How might a business owner use tapping into the social norms to get his or her employees to
lead a healthier lifestyle?
9. Over a long period of time, Sears has slipped from being America’s largest retailer to struggling
for survival in recent years. What cultural change can you suggest to help company leadership
at Sears restore some of the retailer’s past glory?
10. Get the opinion of an experienced leader as to the most effective influence tactics. Share your
findings with class members.