Topic: History Companion Reader excerpt
READINGS MUST BE ACCESSED FROM OUTSIDE SORCE I DONT HAVE THEM
Writing Assignment #1
Answer each of the following questions based on the Companion Reader excerpts. Please submit online.
1. Read Robespierre’s “On Political Morality”
What is Robespierre’s conception of government and who are its enemies?
2. Read George Valentia, “Calcutta”
What problems does Valentia cite in British India and what solutions does he propose?
3. Read “Testimony for the Factory Act”
How effective, do you think, were these testimonies in trying to get a worker reform bill passed in Parliament? Cite specific examples within the testimonies for your answer.
4. Read Abd-Allah ibn Abd al Wahab’, “Wahhabi Reformers in Mecca”
Which elements of the Wahhabi belief system can be observed in this account?
5. Read Pierre Joseph Proudhon’s “What is Property?”
What is the central argument of this essay and how does Proudhon defend this assertion?