What are the three ways language is used in an editorial?
. What is the topic of your essay?
Analyzing the author tone
2. What are the three ways language is used in an editorial?
(These are the three uses of language you will be analyzing) a. Confident b. Exhilarated c. Anticipated
3. What is the title of the editorial?
• Tommy Thompson’s Tone
4. Who is the author of the editorial? • By Tommy Thompson President, UW System
5. Who published this editorial? • Daily Jefferson County Union,
6. What date was the editorial published?
• Dec 22, 2020 7. Write your thesis statement. BODY OF THE ESSAY First paragraph of the body:
-What is the author’s message how does the author use language to make the message clear?
Second body paragraph – Tone – What is tone? What are the tones you have found in the editorial?
Include examples of language (words, phrases, sentences) that show each tone. Make sure to explain how each example shows the tone. Third body paragraph – Engagement –
How does the author use language to engage the reader initially to read the editorial and how does the author use language to keep the reader engaged?
Make sure to explain how each example creates engagement. Conclusion of the Essay Restate your thesis, restate the citation of the editorial, and discuss, in general, the use of language in editorials.